Sunday, June 12, 2011

10 years a decade, a paper dream that may come true someday

Today is the commencement day at Stanford university. Today of 10 years ago, months before 911, I walked the commencement and graduated in the stanford gown covering my wacky shorts and beads, wearing color-framed sunglasses indoors at Soho. These 10 years are compact, don't feel like a decade, the way people look, the way Stanford look, the way things are, have probably changed much less than any other decade before.

The night before today, I went out to DNA lounge, it was probably the first time I came back to it at a Saturday night in 5 years. I met a girl, Erica G. For all the nights I was out and about and all the girls I met at a dark noisy club, Erica is the prettiest one, she has dark brown hair, cute freckles on her nose, big sweet looking eyes, petite body, nice little black dress and beads around her neck. What did Kooks sing? The paper dream! If there is a such thing! She came to my side, tapped on my shoulder ("I am glad I did, she later told me, referring to approaching me), asked if I could dance with her best friend on her bachelorette outing party. I turned around appearing embarrassed, "but I am not a good dancer", I said to her. "Come, come dance with us, come dance with her, it's her bachelorette party". I thought she was drunk. It happened to me before at elbo, when a perfect 10 offered to buy me a drink, the perfect 10 was a little drunk. I turned her down. But Erica was not drunk at all. I didn't know what the deal is, I went up to her bachelorette, who I thought talked in a funny accent only turning out to be the result of small town californian plus a few drinks at a noisy bar, she asked me to stick my leg to her crouch, yes she did...I didn't know when, but when Erica's hands are in mine, everything changed. We were swirling. She kept asking questions to me, only then I knew we both went to Stanford almost at the same period only that she was there for undergraduate, we talked and laughed about the social dance club, and modern dance class at Roble gym and my refusal to take any social dance lesson since I believe my natural rhythm is more than enough to "make the move". She started to take my hands, take the lead, show me the moves, "she was moving in her way".

What did they sing again? The paper dream? The paper dream, honey

Erica would be my paper dream. She showed up from nowhere, she would be the one for a better man version of me moving onto better thing.

I asked her number, she gave it to me. Standing next to her, I gently kissed her neck, her freckled forehead, I put my fingers on her slightly sweaty back, we moved with the beats, sometime fast, sometime slow, yes we moved, sometime sillily, sometime a little dirty, I walked my finger tips on hers, looked a bit into her eyes, smiled. Standing next to her I texted her: "this is the best dancer guy u ever danced with:...". She smiled. then I left her to "let you get back to your friends". On my way home driving, my hands smelled like hers, it puts smile on my face, 3 hours ago, I was a bit sleepy before going out, I was ready to tuck in and sleep soundly, but instead I went, maybe I was sleepwalking? Maybe it's just a paper dream?.

"I had fun dancing with you" she texted me back at 3am.

Paper dream, honey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home